Re: Oil Sump on 1500 spit

To: Chris Boston <cboston@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Oil Sump on 1500 spit
From: Phil Willson <P.J.Willson@qmw.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 12:15:38 BST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Chris

> I took my sump off the car last night...I needed to do an oil change anyway,
> and the sump gasket has been leaking for a while...It came off very easily,
>and
> cleaned up to a lovely condition.  The only crud in the bottom was a small
> peice of either copper or card with a hole in it, it looked like the corner of
> a gasket.  Any offers as to its origin?

Sorry, no positive suggestions.  IMHO it's probably just a bit of gasket that
was dropped in at some point.

> Second problem, the Haynes talks about a gauze sump cover - not seen at this
> address - was this only on early/late cars?

Early cars had a gauze filter on the oil pump intake.  Later cars I think had a
piece of gauze in the sump but this
may have been discontinued when the long stroke 1500 engine was introduced due
to clearance problems.  Can
anyone offer a better explanation?

> Finally, there are twelve short bolts and four long bolts.  I assume that the
> four long bolts go to the back of the sump, but the BL manual only talks about
> two long bolts, and the Haynes doesn't mention any.  Somebody please either
> confirm that they go to the back, or stop me doing something silly.

Again, I think this was a later modification because the earlier sealing blocks
had a habit of leaking so two extra
bolts were introduced.

> Oh yes, I'm going to clean the oil pump tonight, any words of caution?

Just be as clean as you can.  Check all parts for scoring etc. and check
clearances as per manual.  If in doubt, fit a
new pump.  Higher capacity pumps are available e.g.from John Kipping.

All the above is subject to modification by people who know far more about
engines than I do.

Phil

TSSC 13/60 Secretary

From:   Phil Willson