Spitfire info

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net"@tin
Subject: Spitfire info
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 09:16:22 -0500
First off, I want to say that all attributions and writers' names have been
lost or messed up, so I'm just going to comment on some messages that have
been sent lately. I'll bet that if you're the writer of the original message,
you'll know it!

>On Mon, 28 Aug 1995, Ross Vincente -- TransAmer. Financial - Los Angeles
>wrote:
>
>> Also, the Mk. I has a Mk. II exhaust manifold on it.  Is it
>> possible that since the chassis no. is one of the last Mk. I
>> models the factory simply began sticking on the Mk. II manifolds?
>> Or is it more likely that the previous owner swapped the Mk. II
>> for the original Mk. I manifold?

My understanding is that the Spit Mk2 didn't have a manifold, but a header (I
think it was 4-to-1). The headers on the Mk2s LOOKED home-made, almost, but it
gave a power increase to the 1147 engine. I've got one sitting out in the
garage.

>Bob adds:
>I bought the "Triumph Spitfire & GT6 (a Guide To Originality)" by John
>Thomason this week, and have been busy reading this very interesting
>book.

This is a WONDERFUL book. I bought it last spring at the Motoring Museum in
Beaulieu. I was glad I visited that museum just for the books I bought!

Andy Mace continues:
>Yes, it would be worth it to round up an original era Spitfire 4 block
>(FC41xxxHE) and an original cast-iron manifold, but ONLY if you're really
>into the 400 point concours stuff. If not, I'd say let it go.

Let me check. I've got three 1147 Spit blocks laying around, maybe
salvageable. I'll check the numbers and post them.

Larry
lesnyd@monsanto.com