Fan Belt / Alternator Pulley (fwd)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fan Belt / Alternator Pulley (fwd)
From: trs@eagle.gsh.jhu.edu (Peter Barrance)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 09:15:15 -0500 (EDT)

> First, how does one manage to replace a fan belt on these beasts?
> Although I decided not to wrestle with it, there may or may not be
> enough room to finagle the fan belt between the crank pulley and the
> Frame Cross Member (Tubular). Does anyone know for a fact that the fan
> belt can actually be forced through that small space? I'd really rather
> not have to loosen / remove the Frame Cross Member (Tubular)...

Yeah, the gap seems about 2/3 as wide as the belt you have to squeeze through
it - right? I managed to get mine through with the help of my neighbour - by
pushing it through with a big screwdriver while bumping the starter (pull off
coil lead first!) I'm just telling you what I did - not recommending you to
try it. The other possibility might be jacking under the front of the motor to
get a bit more clearance. I'm sure potential exists here for doing some
damage if you jack it too much though.

Anyone else have anything better? It does seem pretty odd that changing a fan
belt could be so hard.

Pete