Re: Worn TR6 driveshaft sliding joints

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Worn TR6 driveshaft sliding joints
From: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com (Gary Schneider)
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 1995 08:58:00 -0600
Pete Barrnace wrote;
>I've just read through your article on clunking noises from TR6 drive-trains.
>It's been a while since I looked under there - but I remember deciding that the
>(considerable) amount of lash that I have is in the sliding joints - the
>u-joints seemed tight. How common is this, do you know? Probably no cure short
>of replacing the whole driveshafts is there?

I'd be interested in any other opinions too. I replaced mine last year
because I could feel maybe a degree or two of play and they made a
noticeable clunk. I was worried about the shock loads hammering the whole
drivetrain in autocrossing. One of the few times where Vic Brit had a big
advantage at around 150 dollars each, everyone else wanted about 300. A low
enough price I wondered about quality, but they've been OK for a year now.

--
Gary Schneider, Nicolet Instrument Technologies
phone: 608-276-6172, Fax: 608-273-5061, Internet: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com