Re: What year TR; ordering LBCs

To: Brian Borgstede <sbrborg@umslvma.umsl.edu>
Subject: Re: What year TR; ordering LBCs
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 16:38:52 -0900 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

On Wed, 24 May 1995, Brian Borgstede wrote:

> I heard that the year on the title, in many cases,
>  is the year the car was titled, not the year it was built.
> Last years model may have this year on the title.

True enough, especially before the 1968 model year. That's why so many
of the legendary TR3B models are advertised as 1963s. I suspect that
this happened less often after 1968, as Federal safety and emissions
laws were rather more "model-year-specific." Those of you with "original"
cars might note the stickers under the hood saying "This vehicle
conforms blah, blah...for the 197X model year...." And I think you'd
find similar notation on the Commission number plate.

Please some correct me if I'm wrong here, but in some cases I think the
various safety and emissions standards were applied on a calendar year
basis: "Vehicles produced/assembled/slapped together after January 1,
19xx MMUST BE EQUIPPED WITH AN APPROVED RESTRAINT FOR CIGARETTE ASHES
WHICH SHALL BE SECURELY MOUNTED...." This is why you might find, say, an
original 1968 model Ford LTD without front shoulder harnesses, or an
early "1972" Triumph TR6 with largely 1971-spec. parts.

MEANWHILE....

Someone else suggested possibilities about swapped VIN plates and
filling customer orders....

You mean there were dealers who could actually ORDER cars to a given
specification? We were never so lucky that I know of, up here in the
Albany area of NY. I don't doubt for a moment it was possible from some
dealers, but the ones up here? Yeah, right....

Andy "I COULDA had a V8?" Mace