Re: New Addition

To: gt8610a@prism.gatech.edu (Thomas Augustus Kimberly), amace@unix2.nysed.gov
Subject: Re: New Addition
From: peterv@zircon.com.au
Date: Mon, 22 May 1995 17:16:45 -0700
Cc: Johnmowog@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
G'day Tom,

I am the proud owner of a Dolomite Sprint, which did not reach your shores,
this engine probalbly has more in common with your TR7 than the DOLOMITE which
is only a 1850 SOHC 8 Valve Unit.

The TR & the Sprint Share the same 2 litre block but the sprint uses a 16
valve SOHC head with HS6 Su's give about 127HP stock @ 5700 rpm.

Your car I think is about 104-106 HP which is similar in output to the TR6,
but alot less torque.

Early 7's from memory had 4 speed boxes as standard but I am pretty sure they
are unique to it, as it the later 5 speed box is.

Only weakness with these engines really is overheating & water pump. The water
pump is intergrated into the block driven by a "Jack Shaft" which also drives
the distibutor via a helical gear.

The water pump is quite high in relation to the rest of the cooling system,
which means that any air most likley end up there causing the pump to
cavitate.

Other problems with the water pump is seal breakdown, and you can check this
by looking on the side of the block, there is a slot under the pump cover. If
Oil and/or water are dribling out the pump needs an over haul.

If there is no corrosion inhibitor you will find that the pump cover will
corrode causing it clearance from the pump vanes to increase making the pump
useless. Replace cover.

Make sure your timing is ok, and if you have a sretched timing chain that can
also cause overheating.

Other than that you have a relativley good & reliable engine!

Also most important, make sure you use the correct thermostat. OHC model
Triumph engine use one with a foot valve. This alows 20% water flow thru the
radiator when cold and 100% when hot. If you don't use the right one it will
only ever flow 20 % as there is no foot on the thermostat to channel the water
via the main water hose to the radiator.

I have just been thru this exercise with the sprint and enjoy a really cool
running & reliable car.

Peter Veanrdos
Sydney, Australia