Re: TR-6 questions

To: "Himelfarb, Mike" <mike@sdm.shoppersdrugmart.ca>
Subject: Re: TR-6 questions
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 10:02:43 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: british-cars@autox.team.net, Scions of Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Thu, 18 May 1995, Himelfarb, Mike wrote:

> 1)  The overdrive.  when O/D is turned off and I am decelerating in
>     3rd or 4th the transmission appears to disengage completely below
>     2000 rpm (somewhat disturbing).  Turning on O/D solves the problem

The Overdrive pump is working all of the time, but the pumped fluid is
supposed to be bled off until you switch ON the solenoid, closing the
hydraulic circuit and allowing pressure to rise.  Currently on your car, the
Overdrive is building up a small amount of pressure when it's supposed to be
bleeding off all pressure.  This will cause the direct-drive (smaller) cone
clutch to disengage, allowing the car to freewheel.  The backup sprag clutch
system allows direct drive in the forward direction to still occur.
        Possible fixes.  Could be that you have a gummed up pressure
relief valve, gummed up solenoid piston, all combined with a gummed up O/D
oil filter mesh.  Pull these parts out, and clean them well with
solvent.  The manual will tell you exactly where they are.  If you have
the original cardboard transmission tunnel cover fitted, you may be able
to get at the solenoid through an access window on the side.

> 2)  Missing above 2500 rpm.  Reasonable acceleration until I load the

Could be a number of things.  I'd suspect that your centrifugal advance
needs lubrication.  Also FYI, BTDC is advanced with respect to TDC (0), and
ATDC is retarded w.r.t. TDC (0).

> 3)  Tires and handling.  The installer set
>     tire pressure at 32 psi all around but the plate in the glovebox
>     says 20 psi front and 24 psi rear.  This sounds a bit low, so
>     should I take TR's word for it or leave it as is?

I'd maintain the original pressure bias, but at a higher overall
pressure.  So perhaps set the front at 28 and the rear at 32.
Of course, the factory settings were for a brand new car with new suspension
bushings, new springs, new Michelin tyres...etc.  What I'm saying is that
time has altered the handling characteristics of your car, and optimum
tyre pressure level and bias may need to be adjusted for that.  Start
with 28-32 and play around to see what you like best.  The weight of the
TR-6 on those 15" tyres is certainly not at the upper limit.

> Any comments, opinions and ideas are *most* welcome.
> Mike.

> *  Mike Himelfarb - '76 TR6  |  "When all else fails, use a hammer..."   *
> *  Mike@ShoppersDrugMart.CA  |                                 Taylor    *

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6