RE: Getting my hood open/ another question

Subject: RE: Getting my hood open/ another question
From: "Riggs, R. (Kevin)" <rkriggs@hsv28.pcmail.ingr.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 95 03:05:00 CDT
Encoding: 38 TEXT
Ronald asks about removing the engine from his TR6; do you have to remove
both the engine and transmission?

Technically, no.  You can leave the transmission behind.  But it's virtually
no more work to remove them both--in fact that might require less work.

Almost any way you look at it, I think you'll have to remove the
transmission cover, if for no other reason than to remove the wires attached
to the transmission.  In order to remove the cover, you'll need to remove
the center console and seats.  At this point, there's nothing in the way of
removing the transmission as well.  Although removing the bolts holding the
transmission to the engine is easier with assistance, you can also remove
them on your own--it's just a little more fiddly and takes about twice as
long.  Once the transmission is free, it's light enough for one person to
pull it out of the car.  Or you can set up some blocks or something to hold
it in place while you remove the engine.

If you think you'll want to remove the transmission anyway (and I guess I'm
trying to convince you that you do...), go ahead and leave it attached to
the engine, and pull the whole lump in one piece.  This makes hoisting it
out of the engine bay a little more difficult, but you'll be using a hoist
for this operation, and IMHO it's worth the extra effort to get it out of
the car so you can do a good job of inspecting it.  Also, it's easier to
unbolt the the engine from the transmission once it's all out of the car.

I've pulled the transmission out of my car 5 or 6 times now, so my view of
the procedure is a little biased.  But there will never be a better time to
get the transmission out of the car and give it a thorough examination than
while you're pulling the engine.  Take a little extra time now, Ron, and
maybe save yourself a lot of time later.

All IMHO, of course, so take it for what it's worth--free advice.

Kevin Riggs
'72 TR6
rkriggs@ingr.com
Huntsville, AL