TR6 Rear Wheel Bearings

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Rear Wheel Bearings
From: TinyHost@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 10:50:59 -0400
Kevin:

>By rotational play, I mean that with one wheel jacked up and the car
>in gear, how far can you rotate the suspended wheel clockwise or
>counterclockwise before all of the play is taken up?

I'll have to try this - I haven't as yet.

>I can rotate my wheel's nearly a quarter turn.  That's a lot of play.
>It's all in the differential.  I've been driving it that way for
>20,000 miles, and my diff is still quiet and apparently healthy.  I
>expect that this is where your clunk is coming from,

That's kind of what it sounded like to me. Again, I will double-check.

>But any kind of push-pull play is in the wheel bearings.

<sigh> I was afraid you were going to say that...

>Last I checked, TRF would do it for something like $200 a side.
>That's not good news for you, but it sounds like you'll need to do
>something soon.

I know what catalog I'll be looking through tonight!

>You say you don't hear any noise from the bearings now.  I suspect
>that there's a low rumbling noise that you're just not hearing.

Now that you've described the sound I have a better idea of what's
going on. Every so often I've heard grinding from the left rear,
especially when I've been backing out of a parking spot and turning.
One time I thought the rear brake may have been hung up. I'm getting
leery enough now that I think I'll get that fixed ASAP.

>Just keep that thought in mind as you squirrel away $400 over the next
>several months.

Before I bought the car I planned on spending a couple of hundred more
to get things fixed that I knew I wouldn't find until after I bought
it. Good thing...

        Bruce Krobusek
        Rochester   NY
       tinyhost@aol.com