Re: Oil pressure and Axle seals....

To: TR4guyinVA@aol.com
Subject: Re: Oil pressure and Axle seals....
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 08:08:18 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Fri, 12 May 1995 TR4guyinVA@aol.com wrote:

> Gonna put two questions in here.
>
> First I noticed that someone thought that and oil pressure reading of below
> 20 psi (at idling after engine is hot) is bad.  Any other thoughts on this?
>
> supposed to stay in the diff, and the halfshaft gets grease from a grease
> zerk?  How's all that work?  How hard is it to change oil seals on a solid
> axle TR?
>
> Scott Tilton

        If you look down the bore of the axle you will see the inner axle
        seals about 6" in. These are not easy to get out, ahving changed
        mine once. I finally settled on a slide hammer with a hook on it
        to pull the boogers out. I'm sure there are those who have hit on
        an easier way, but I don't know it. The outer seals are just plain
        nasty to get out. It usually require a mohunkas, great press to
        get the halves apart (there was a rather lengthy string about this
        process on the list just a couple weeks ago).
        I wouldn't worry about diff oil on the axle halves up to the inner
        seal. Anything beyond that would indicate a bad inner seal (another
        symptom would be oil leaking out of the shaft end behind the brake
        drum).Of the two jobs getting the inner seals out is definitely
        the easier.

        Good luck,

        Greg

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois