Oil pressure and Axle seals....

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil pressure and Axle seals....
From: TR4guyinVA@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 04:26:25 -0400
Gonna put two questions in here.

First I noticed that someone thought that and oil pressure reading of below
20 psi (at idling after engine is hot) is bad.  Any other thoughts on this?

I've got two engines that do go below this mark when they have been going
awhile.  This was the very reason I replaced the first engine.  But now the
new one (less than 2000 mi on the engine!) does nearly the same thing.  Could
it be the gauge, or a oil pump that is just a little worn out (didn't replace
the pump when I got the engine done)  It will still pump up above 55 psi when
the rev climb above 2000 or so, no matter how long the engine's been running.
 Maybe I should just get an oil cooler.

Secondly, I swapped the car over to wire wheels today.  I swapped the entire
rear hubs and half shaft assembly from another car rather than screwing
(pun?) with the studs.  (please feel free to tell me why I shouldn't have
done this now that I have)  Anyway---When I pulled the half shafts out, they
were _covered_ with gear oil.  That's not right is it?  Isn't the gear oil
supposed to stay in the diff, and the halfshaft gets grease from a grease
zerk?  How's all that work?  How hard is it to change oil seals on a solid
axle TR?

Scott Tilton
In Richmond VA
Looking for a cut away drawing of an axle instead of an exploded one.