Re: TR6 - Valve setting

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 - Valve setting
From: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com (Gary Schneider)
Date: Thu, 11 May 95 15:14:34 CDT
Pete asked:
>1.      How exact do you have to be about turning the motor to the exact point
>on the cam where two of the valve springs are fully compressed?
>
>2.      What's the best way to set this point accurately? I was turning it on
>the starter to get to the rough position, then tugging on the fanbelt and
>twisting the water pump..

1 - I've always just eyeballed valve position - the idea of compressing the
opposite valves is that the one to be adjusted is on the flat-profile part
of the cam and placement is not critical.

2 - The easiest way I know to position the valves is put the car in top
gear and rock the car forward. The listing in the manual is in the order in
which the valves open in forward movement. Use the starter to position the
first valve pair, and then manually rock the car forward. It is also
(barely) possible to force the fan blade around by hand to turn the engine
in small increments if its in neutral.

--
Gary Schneider, Nicolet Instrument Technologies
phone: 608-276-6172, Fax: 608-273-5061, Internet: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com