Re: Warning !!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Warning !!
From: TR4guyinVA@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 11:11:28 -0400
Hi all,

I've been chatting with Lennart about his Vitesse for a while now.  I'm
reading his current messages to the list and think that a piece of the puzzle
might be getting lost in the vocabulary.

Before anyone goes out and starts bad mouthing the drivetrain of poor
Lennart's Vitesse, please refer to the following as to an example of what he
means when he says "tuned" engine.  This is a portion of a post of his from a
month or so ago:

>I've just bought a Vitesse Mk 1 Convertable.
>The car is in a very good shape but i have some questions about the
>engine.
>It has a 2 liter engine which is tuned to Stage 2, the injection
>system from a Triumph 2500 PI, electronic ignition and a 'spaghettie'
>manifold for the exhaust.
>The car really starts accelerating above the 6000 rpm and the problem
>is that i smell burned oil instite at that point.
>The engine makes that raw race sound but doesn't seem to have any problems
>with those rpm's.
>I'll take it easy with the engine because i don't want to kill it but
>what i like to know if it is really bad for the engine to drive with
>those rpm's while it has been tuned ?
>I don't have any experience with tuned engines and i'm trying to find out
>where that oil smell is coming from.
>
>An other thing is the exhaust system, it has no silencers.
>Don't i need the pressure from a silencer ?
>I always thought that an engine needs the counter-pressure.
>
>I hope that one of you, or more, can tell me more.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Lennart Broekhof

Yeah, that's why I started writing him.  When he says tuned engine, he isn't
kidding.  He says it will go up to 7500 RPM!   Good thing he has a uprated
clutch.  Looks like he is finding out the hard way that he needs an uprated
differential too.

Good Luck Lennart!  Get the little sucker back on the roads and take it a wee
bit easier on the beast this time.  No more sidesteping  the clutch and
jumping the Duthc canals.

Scott in Richmond