My new camshaft

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: My new camshaft
From: Keith.Bennett@bbc.co.uk (Keith Bennett)
Date: 20 Apr 95 15:07:40 EDT
Dear all,
          Thanks to everyone who responded to my mailing last month about
my TR4As cam problems. The cause of its premature demise was defective
cam followers, all which were starting to break up damaging a couple of
the lobes.

     I've since come across another cam which was advertised in last
months TRaction (it was a bargain), and have been busy fitting it. It's a
secondhand but unused early Racetorations profile. Trouble is I think it
might be a bit to wild for my current engine set up, having some 300
degrees of duration. My engine is still fairly standard although I have
done some work on the ports and valves. I reckon the compression is
around 9.5:1 having 87mm pistons and the head has been skimmed.
I'm thinking of fitting a Triumphtune  exhaust to get it breathing
better.

     Question is, do I need a big increase in compression to make the cam
work properly?
Has anyone got any experience of this sort of profile?
Am I totally daft trying to use a cam like this on a road car?

Keith Bennett