Re: TR6 questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 questions
From: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com (Gary Schneider)
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 95 11:12:48 CDT
>Carl Huppert asks:
>1) Is there no consensus on the unleaded question?  Should I use a lead
>substitute for my 75 (not unleaded only)?

I'll weigh in with another opinion lacking in direct evidence. I'd
recommend it. You don't have the unleaded filler neck so you are definitely
at risk. You also definitely don't have a catcon to plug up with lead,
which is why lead had to go. At worst it does no harm, at best it saves
your valves. I've never seen definitive proof it works but I have an MG
head well and truly destroyed by absolutely classic valve recession. And it
makes you feel good.

>2) What is healthy compression?  I have 110,105,125,110,105,125 for 1-6
>respectively.

This is quite normal for a well-used TR6 engine in my experience. Under 20%
variation indicates there are no major problems.

>3) Any reason the seatbelt buzzer would be buzzing with doors closed, key out
>of ignition?  Wiring diagram appears to show power coming from ignition
>switch.

This is just an educated guess, but the double failure mode should indicate
the wire nearest the buzzer is grounded. Ignition switch I think offers a
ground when the key is inserted and this is a high failure rate item. The
Q&D approach would be rip out the *%$# buzzer, but then I'm obsessive about
cars that yell at me.

--
Gary Schneider
Nicolet Instrument Technologies, 5225-4 Verona Road, Madison, WI 53711 USA