Re: SPITS/UNLEADED

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SPITS/UNLEADED
From: Strativary@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 18:47:04 -0400
Hi Triumph Types,

Unleaded, now here's a can of worms.  I'm sure this has been
discussed to death long before I found this list.  I'll be specifically
Spit.  Unleaded was first *required* when you couldn't fit that big
gas pump nozzle in the hole.  The "Unleaded fool only" warning
probably showed up on the filler cap & fool gauge at the same time.
When was that?  1977 for "Federal models",
Earlier in CA.  VB cat. shows a CAT in the picture
box for <exhaust-california> 75-80, but in the part #'s section,
'77 is the earliest year listed for CAT hmm....
TRF shows CAT on CA cars "After the 1974 model year."
& on "Federal Models-From Commission No. FM60006...."
The reprint of the owners manual in the <Bentley Book> is not very
specific on years, but indicates that CAT's might be found on 1976
Federal cars. Also in this section are the 10 precautions that apply
to "Catalytic Devices".  We all know them but I have to quote # 1.

"(1) In order to maintain the efficiency of the emission control system
it is essential to use UNLEADED gasoline only; this minimises spark
plug fouling thereby substaining engine performance."

Spark plug fouling? This is a new one on me.

I didn't research the fitting of "hardened valve seats etc." but;
IMHO  The long term effects of unleaded fool on valves (if any) was
not well understood in the mid '70's.  It is possible that hardened
valve seats were not fitted in the early cars "requiring" this fuel.
The auto makers (BL in particular) may have "discreetly" starting
hardening valve seats when alerted to the possible problems.

Hope I covered new ground only

Bob Sykes
75 (Big hole), 78 ,78 (little holes) Spits