[Tigers] Speaking of Panhard Bars...

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Speaking of Panhard Bars...
From: "William Lau" <mrlau@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 11:41:54 -0500
My MKII never got the message either.  It pulled loose but it was auto
crossed extensively and that is where it gets the most abuse on the panhard
rod.  Early Mustangs didn't have panhard rods or traction bars and a stock
one would wrap the axel to cause tramp.  If not corrected over a period of
time the wrapping of the axel would allow the splined shaft to come out of
the transmission and the drive shaft would wind up on the ground.  All that
was necessary to fix it was more spring leaves or traction bars.  Stock
Mustangs were never made to go around corners though and they didn't.  Late
in 65 a bigger anti-sway bar was added along with stouter springs in the
G.T. models and it was quite an improvement. I know that G.T. 350's had a
wire to keep the rear end in order when airborne but don't know if they had
a panhard rod and since I am not very familiar with them, I will defer to
others on the site that will know.  I do know however that they were very
competitive with whatever they had.  I don't think the panhard rod on a
Tiger is very necessary unless it is being driven around corners
aggressively and I'm not really convinced it works correctly then as others
have stated. -- Bill --

Subject: Re: [Tigers] Speaking of Panhard Bars...

They pull out of the MKIIs as well. Mine is long  gone.