RE: Front crossmember

To: Ron Fraser <rfraser@bluefrog.biz>,
Subject: RE: Front crossmember
From: Bill Martin <tigerfixer@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 15:53:58 -0700 (PDT)
 Gentlemen,
 The Bolt size for the crossmember is unique by todays
 standard. The grip length is 1 5/8 (unthreaded) and
 you cannot purchase a 1/2 20 in that grip length off
 the shelf. To make new crossmember bolts that go
 all the way through the frame inserts you need to
 purchase 1/2 20 x 5" then have them threaded to make
 the 1 5/8 grip length. I have had sets made in grade
 8 and now Grade 9. And it do cost!

 There are alot of wierd grip lengths on a Tiger and
 where any of them have a grip length that is in the
 1/16ths range you have to go over or under as most
 bolt manufacturers will not make the unthreaded
 portion that ends in a 16th
 U= Unified  N= National  F= Fine
                          C= Coarse
 All of the Works Rally cars that I have seen along
 with the Lemans Coupes have bolts that go all the
 way through the frame at the crossmember. Doane made
 his own out of Grade 8 "Rockalloy" bolts for the
 Hollywood Tiger.

 Bill "Hardware obsessive" Martin