RE: Front crossmember

To: "'CLAUDIA TRIPPEL'" <TRIPPEL@peoplepc.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Front crossmember
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.biz>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:09:57 -0400
Buck
        UNF is the Unified bolt series that the US and Great Britain put
together during WW II so they would be compatible.  There is a slight angle
of the thread difference between them.    The British Whitworth thread
series is the odd ball to us in the states.
        The stock 1/2 UNF bolt has 20 threads per inch and the length of the
threaded part is 1 5/8".   Any replacement bolt has to have the same thread
number and thread length equal to or more than the original bolt.

        I don't recall anyone damaging the lower threads but it is very
possible.  I would more suspect damage at the upper threads because the top
of the threaded tube is exposed to the elements and generally has rust
there.

Ron Fraser