RE: offset vs. backspace

To: "'Sharon Mountjoy'" <mtjoy@telis.org>,
Subject: RE: offset vs. backspace
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:08:04 -0800
Darrell,

Seven inch rims aren't seven inches wide. I just measured my nominal
7.5"x15" rims (Centerlines) and they are 8.25" wide measured outer lip to
outer lip; that is, the lips are 3/8" wide. That's why I said in my earlier
post "There is some uncertainty in translating rear spacing to offset
because of wheel lip width (0.5"??)." OK, so in my particular case it's
3/8", not 1/2". One way or the other though, to get rear (or front) spacing,
you have to actually measure it. Using offset and nominal width doesn't do
it.