Re: Hard top footprint protection

To: "Paul Flavel" <flavels@chariot.net.au>
Subject: Re: Hard top footprint protection
From: stubrennan@attbi.com
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 12:02:41 +0000
Hi Paul:

My experiments with the magnetic stuff were inconclusive.  First of all, the
magnetic sheets I had were white vinyl coated, and this stuff started to crack
and peel off after the first year.  Second, the base material gets stiffer than
the magnetic force of the thin sections can cope with, when it gets cold.
Third, with new rubber like yours, there wasn't enough magnetic force to hold
them in place as the top was installed, so they kept slipping out.  And fourth,
I'm not sure they work, since I'm not sure I did a good enough job polishing
out the old marks before the experiment.

That said, I still do use mine when I put the hard top on.  Intuitively, they
seem better than nothing.

Stu