Re: Sandblasters and Cabinet Blasters

To: tsmit@shaw.ca, deiland1@elp.rr.com
Subject: Re: Sandblasters and Cabinet Blasters
From: BlueGolfer@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 08:33:19 EDT
In a message dated 4/14/02 12:57:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tsmit@shaw.ca
writes:

> You're going to hear this lots, but sandblasters warp sheetmetal because
the
> sand
>  impact is so high that it stress-relieves the metal.Get a refinishing shop
>  plastic-blast your body - getting my hardtop done inside and out cost $120
>  canadian, that's like $80 US. I'd removed the top layer of paint with a
> chemical
>  stripper but it wouldn't touch the factory black lacquer underneath, so I
> took it
>  to the plastic blasters.
>  They did mention that holding the sandblaster gun at a shallow angle could
> help
>  prevent warpage but that's just waaaay too much of a risk

Theo is right, be careful blasting sheet metal.  Lower pressure with high
volume flow rate works best. Blasters do a fine job on non-sheet metal parts
such as castings, et al.

BTW, consider making your own cabinet. I made one from plywood, two by 4s,
and the accessories such as foot pedal, gloves and gun from TIP industries.
Cost me less than $200 and it can hold a 4 foot long part in it.

Rob