Convertible Top Questions

To: Tiger News Group List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Convertible Top Questions
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 08:49:57 -0500
Listers,
I am on the road again and sitting in my Hotel late at night when a Tiger
owners mind starts to wander.....specifically, I am thinking of powder
coating the convertible top bows and I am wondering if anyone else has tried
it and if there is any negatives to doing it. I am wondering if the build up
will hinder the operation of the arms or if painting is the clear way to go.
I am in the process right now of redoing my top in preparation for a move to
sunnier climes, and wonder if anyone has any tips or tricks to do the new
roof job once.
I am short some parts and wonder if anyone has any?

The parts needed are
The springs that work the hinging arm for the roof front header for both
sides
The right side pin and clip that the front header Hinge arm pivots on
New stretchy stuff that secures the bows to each other
A shinier chrome arm

Through all of this I have an extra roof header tie bar and misc. bits that
I could donate to others or trade. I also found another Alpine console if
anyone is needing one. You would need the ashtray.

Thanks again to Jeff Howarth across the "pond" for the GT top blocks which I
traded for some better Hinge arms.

I spent about 6 hours Sunday with a torch and Vise and assorted hammers and
dollies to repair my hinges and I think that I have made good progress. I
had to leave before I could test fit the roof frame to see if it fits well
to the side glass. If any of you have tried to do this I have a lot of
respect for what you had to go through. The hardest thing was determining
what the "correct" twisty shape is supposed to be. I guessed and will soon
know how well I did when I try the roof again. Does any one have a scale
drawing or tracing that can be used as a "pattern"??? It took a lot of work
to get the hinges apart and if anyone else needs some help I may be able to
if mine line up although I would prefer a pattern from an untwisted set.
Once everything lines up satisfactorily I plan to disassemble it all and
either powder-coat or paint depending on feedback.

Best regards to all,
Tim Ronak
B382000680