Re: Re-restoration of 260 Alpine

To: Jonathan Evans <jonathan.evans@microcraftcorp.com>
Subject: Re: Re-restoration of 260 Alpine
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 18:58:51 -0500
Jonathan, you might look at a custom exhaust, even in SS.  The SS
exhaust available are in the 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" diameter, and if you have
a strong engine, you need a larger exhaust, or you will choke the engine
at the exhaust.

After reading a lot of mags, talking to people, etc, I have decided to
go with 2 1/4" diameter, in SS, with FlowMasters, and a crossover pipe.
I am using Rick's headers with a HPC coating.  Too large an exhaust will
allow the temp in the exhaust to go down, and reduce the flow.  That's
why with an exhaust without cats needs to be a little smaller that the
car with cats.

Call Bora and FlowMaster, and ask them what they think about exhaust
size, as I did.  Just a short tele call, with good info imput.

I have used FlowMasters before and they really do perform, with more
mileage, which translates to engine efficiency, and of course more hp
and torque.  They don't come in SS unfortunately.

All this cost money, but should be a one time cost, allowing the car to
breath properly.

I believe that Mark Olsen's web site has the tach updates for the
transistors and capacitors, and hole for adjusting, necessary to bring
the tach back to life.

Good luck.

Larry