RE: charging

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: charging
From: "Frank Marrone" <marrone@wco.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 22:09:44 -0800
A shorted amp meter (when correctly installed IN LINE or IN SERIES with a
current carrying conductor) will not prevent the battery from charging.  An
OPEN ammeter would.  An easy way to see if your charging system is
attempting to charge your battery is to measure the voltage on the battery
at medium RPMs.  Depending on temperature you should read 13.5 to 15 volts
on the battery when the battery is mostly charged.  A battery under heavy
charge would measure a voltage toward the low range because of the heavy
current draw from the charging system.

Frank
B9471116