RE: Factory Specials

To: John Crawley <johnc@nait.ab.ca>, Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: RE: Factory Specials
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 09:33:34 -0700
The reason I brought up the topic (other than to get people's blood going on
these cold winter days :) is that through Norm's and other's diligence in
pursuing factory documentation, and through the efforts of Dick Barker, Tony
Eckford, Bill Miller, and all the others who owned and restored the 'special'
Tigers, we have both a fairly complete record of which cars are unique (through
factory effort) and also a relatively large number of the actual cars.

So, given that there will be Concours type events, because that's what some
people enjoy preparing their car for, and all the rest of us certainly
appreciate their efforts, it might be good to group the factory cars in a class
of their own so as to allow the owners of 'ordinary' (if there is such a thing)
Tigers to compete without the psychological effect of being judged against a car
to which there really is no comparison.

In my opinion, general event scoring should emphasize driving over concours
competition, so as to give everyone a chance to see Tigers running the way they
were meant to.

Theo Smit
tsmit@novatel.ca
B382002705