Think?

To: "Tigerlist * (E-mail)" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Think?
From: "Wright, Larry" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 14:18:28 -0500
Doug Mallory wrote:

Well, if you insist; but it _hurts_!  :-)

*If you can turn an engine with a 1.5 hp starter how can an oil additive
*increase hp more the 1.5 hp?

Been mulling this one over all day, it didn't make sense at first.
Re-reading this for the nth time, I finally come to the conclusion that
perhaps you're suggesting that if a 1.5hp starter turns the motor over,
then the engine's internal friction is eats 1.5hp _max_, and the
additive, even if it reduced the internal friction to zero, cannot help
by more than that 1.5hp. O.K., plausible statement. Hmmm, one answer
might be that it _can't_ help more then the 1.5hp, and it's a waste of
time to use additives. Another might be derivative of whether the
friction is a constant at all rpm's and temperatures; if the friction
eats way more grunt at 6000 revs (I don't know), then the additive
wouldn't have to remove _all_ of the friction to add more than 1.5hp.
Doug, I think you're trying to get us to dump our preconceived ideas,
which is always good. But don't go into the business of making
brain-teaser imprinted cocktail napkins...

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products Div. of USOP
lrw@aop.com