Alpines vs. Tigers

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Alpines vs. Tigers
From: Dallas Bowen <thebowens@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 20:46:02 -0700 (PDT)
Everyone,

 I am new to the TigerNet (about a month) and am currently looking
for a car to buy. I have never owned a Tiger before and wanted some
opinions about a Tiger vs. Alpine Conversion.
 I understand and agree that changing a VIN is illegal, immoral,
and probably fattening and would never knowingly buy a car being
sold as a Tiger that is not.
 My question is about a Tiger "clone" that is advertised as such, and
registered and titled as an Alpine. I have found a car fitting this
description and also a restored Tiger that I am very confident is the
genuine article. The Tiger is 2 1/2 times the price of the Alpine Conv.
Herein lies the quandary.
 I'm looking for a car to enjoy, ie: autocross, drag, drive (maybe even
in the rain) and not out to impress anyone other than myself and maybe a
Corvette owner or two. I would feel horrible if I broke or bent a real
Tiger.
So the question is; when does an Alger cross the line of acceptability.
Are Tiger emblems on an Alpine Conversion looked down upon, or is it
acceptable
as long as the car is not passed off to a prospective buyer as being
the real
thing.
 I know this will open a can of worms on the net, but am very
interested in
everyone's perspective.

Thanks in advance,
Dallas Bowen