Re: Spridgets at car shows

To: Jay Fishbein <type79@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Spridgets at car shows
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:28:32 -0700
Cc: Spridget List <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Jay

I've read the "More Healeys" book written by Geoffery Healey, which
deals with the Sprites more than the 100s & 3000s. I don't think
increasing curb weights had any direct connection to increasing
horsepower. The Healeys were racers before they got into car production.
Racers want more power!! If the Sprites had decreased in weight over the
years instead of increasing, I think the Healeys would have pushed for
better & more powerful engines in their cars.

My impression is that the Healey's were limited only by what was
available in the Austin parts bin year by year.

Just my 2 cents!

Jim Rogers
San Juan Capistrano, CA
59 Bugeye, with 1380 & 5-speed (which I drive thru mountains next to me
AND as daily driver.

Jay Fishbein wrote:

>I'm not a mind reader so I can't speculate what the powers that be would
>have plopped (that's an engineering term) into the Bugeye if there were
>options on the  displacement of  the A series available in 1958, but I
>thought the reason the reasons for going to more hp on the production
>cars was due to the increasing curb weights.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: