Looking at a MGB project

To: "Spridgets Digest" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Looking at a MGB project
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 21:27:37 -0500
Just noticed this thread on the Digest.  Haven't spent a lot of time on line
last couple of days what with Christmas and traveling.  As one who owns his
4th MGB, I guess I should chime in.

Late 1967 MGB's are the best.  You can tell them from early '67 B's because
they have back-up lights.  They have the most features & power, & least
problematic parts including basic emissions equipment as compared to the later
not-very-efficient emissions equipment.  Among the good parts is the 5-main
engine - much stiffer, especially for racing.

BTW, rust repairs on B's can be costly to fix.  Not having a working MIG
welder & sheetmetal brake, I have had to use professional shops to do the work
on my B.  If I add it all up, I wouldn't be far from the cost of a Heritage
body shell.  And, my '66 MGB was NOT in bad shape compared to many I've seen.

Another inherent problem with B's with high mileage is wear of suspension
parts.  Last year, the week before the Labor Day weekend race, my B was
discovered to need quite a few new front end pieces.  And, that was just 3
years after having had the front end rebuilt.  But, I had driven the B about
36,000 miles in that time.  And, I don't tip-toe down the road.  As a result
of that experience, I have asked the shop working on the front suspension of
my Turner (with Spridget parts) to carefully examine all parts & have the
critical ones magnafluxed.  Still waiting for a response from my last
request.

In seeking out good MG's, or Sprites, it is worthwhile looking in areas where
rust is not a problem - away from the "Rust Belt," away from the ocean shores.
(I had a chance to check under the hood of my aunt's c. 15-year old Caddy
today that has been parked here in Florida about 500 feet from an inlet from
the Gulf of Mexico.  The rust is incredible.  And, this is a car that WAS well
rust-proofed.)  But, there are some lightly rusted cars from further inland.
In fact, in the Auto Trader I picked up today, there are the following: '60
Bugeye - $6500, '59 100-6 - $14,000, '52 MG TD - $14,750, '61 MGA - $12,000,
'73 Midget - $3,200, '79 Midget Mk.IV - $6,750, and five MGB's '71 to '79
ranging from $1,995 to $8,000.  The St. Petersburg Times has ads for a '75
Midget at $1600/obo, a '68 B at $4,000 & a '78 B with Factory h.t., air
conditioning, overdrive & luggage rack at $10,000.  I haven't looked at any of
these cars, and won't (there are 2 other cars listed that I might go look at
though).  But, based on what I have seen among old cars in this area over the
last 10 years, probably 1/3 to 1/2 are in really good shape.  Whereas, of the
old cars I've looked at in Connecticut, New York & New Jersey maybe 10% are in
really good shape.  And, in Michigan hardly any - - the first spring I lived
there I was still jogging.  In April I was wondering why the pile of "snow"
still along the side hadn't yet melted.  It never did.  It was salt - a foot
wide, 3 - 4 inches deep and the length of Adams Road in Troy.  That's why they
call the upper Mid-West the "Rust Belt."

BTW, my MGB spent most of its life in Colorado, and about 8 years in Ohio.
Floor pan on one side had been replaced at one point prior to my purchase in
1997.  Still needed to have rockers, dog-legs and lower front fenders replaced
during these last 4 years.  And, I've been nursing a rust spot over the right
rear wheel arch for the last few years.  But, thanks to annual "Corrosion-X"
treatments, that's all the rust I have had to deal with in 4-1/2 years of
year-round driving of this almost 36 year-old car.

And, BTW, the MGB is a very comfortable, practical and relatively safe car as
a daily driver.  And, whether it was for my '65 MGB back in 1965 or this B
now, I can get almost any part I need faster than my friends with their new
domestic or foreign cars can.

If  you want a project, fine.  But, do yourself a favor &  buy the best car
you can.  It will save you time & money in the long run.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB daily driver, occasional vintage racer
'59 Turner soon to be vintage racer, occasional daily driver