Re: mech fuel pump on a 12V?

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: mech fuel pump on a 12V?
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 21:09:40 +0300
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
I am just examining the possibility of dispensing with the SU electric
petrol pumps altoghether on both my Sprite and MGB GT. They fail often,
their ticking makes me nervous and they pump juice to the carbs once every
15 seconds (or more often) when the engine is off and the ignition on...

Now the original mechanical pump on my 78 Mini Saloon has never ever failed
and I have used the car every day, on long journeys too. Plus I've never
seen a "wet" float or jet on my carb with it.

What's more interesting is that, according to Burlen Fuel's SU Reference
Catalogue both the 1275cc (12V) and 1798cc (18V) Marinas had the same (!!!)
mechanical pump, i.e. AUF800 series, unfortunately there is no mention of
its specifications in that publication, that is psi, gallons/hour, etc...

Evangelos