RE: Vizard's New Book! (Tuning the A-Series Engine)

To: "'Lancer7676@aol.com'" <Lancer7676@aol.com>, "'spridgets@Autox.Team.Net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Vizard's New Book! (Tuning the A-Series Engine)
From: Jackson Zimmermann <JZIMMERM@exch.co.albemarle.va.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 17:49:36 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I'm afraid that original post sounded too harsh, let me clarify.  BUY THIS
BOOK IF YOU DO NOT ALREADY OWN A PREVIOUS EDITION!

For the first time reader, it is an AMAZING read.  As you say, the breadth
of information is stunning.  This was the first and only book, that I have
found to be truly enjoyable to read, that covers all the systems of an
engine, what it takes to make it perform, and compares many parts in a
performance setting.  As huge bonus, it covers an engine that I happen to
own!

The frustrating thing that I have found is many of the items (manifolds)
tested are NLA and have been unobtainable for years and years, yet the
information in the 3rd edition is still presented as being relevant for the
current A-series owner.  Also, some items that are common high performance
parts from APT and other sources and have been available for years are not
covered by the 3rd edition.  It is a mix of useful new information (heads,
valves, cam choice information) with amazing info on other systems, but
dated from more than 10+ years ago when the 2nd edition was published.  I
guess that I was spoiled by the 2nd edition and its relatively timely
information when published...

Still, a wonderful book by itself.  I was just commenting on it from the
perspective of an owner and lover of the 2nd edition.  The series is truly
remarkable and a must for anyone that does not have a copy.

My apologies to the list if it appeared that I do not enjoy the book!

Jackson Zimmermann
jzimmerm@albemarle.org
'64 A-H Sprite