Re: Oil Pressure-Cause for concern???

To: "Greg Gowins" <cartman@dnai.com>, "Spridgets List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure-Cause for concern???
From: "David Riker" <davidr@sunset.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 20:02:10 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
A quick glance to the BL Service manual:
Recomended oil weights at temperatures:
Above 10 degrees farenheight (-10 C):   10W-40, 10W-50 or 20W-50
Between 0 and 20 degrees F (-15 to -5 C) 10W-30, 10W-40 or 10W-50
Below 0 degrees F (-15 C) 5W-20 or 5W-30

Oil pressure range:
948 and 1098 engines:  idle, hot:10 to 25 lb/sq.in, normal running 30 to 60
lb/sq. in
1275 engines:  idle, hot 20 lb/sq.in, normal running 40 to 70 lb/sq.in

With the modern oils, 20W-50 is my choice, because I have other cars to
drive when the temperature drops below 50 degrees.  While I have had the car
in snow country, even there I never took the car for a drive with the
temperature was below 10 degrees.  I have experimented with Syntec 5W-50, as
the higher the second number, the thicker the oil at opperating temperature,
and the thicker the oil, the higher the oil pressure.  Although I have heard
that too high of oil pressure can cause as much damage to engine bearings as
too low of oil pressure.

30 lbs. in a 1275 when hot at normal speed (3000 RPM and above) is a little
on the low side, but 20W-50 would probably raise that to an acceptable
range.  The addition of an oil cooler is also usually good for a few PSI.

If you aren't racing, the engine isn't knocking, and idle oil pressure
continues to stay above 10 PSI, I wouldn't worry unless you notice a gradual
decrease over time.

YMMV, just MHO, yada, yada, yada...

David Riker