Re: Sway bar mounting bolts

To: byers@cconnect.net, Lancer7676@aol.com, ckotting@iwaynet.net, carlson@navtech.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Sway bar mounting bolts
From: Stella67@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 08:13:23 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I guess I am just a bit crazy but the discussion of stainless vs grade 5
and/or 8 bolts holding a front sway bar to the frame seems to be a bit
overkill.  First of all the majority of these cars never come close to pushing
the stress factors on the mounts of the front sway bars - at least those that
have not been distroyed by hitting curbs etc.  And, unless you are goint to
trick the front end up and push the limits of the cars suspension stainless
bolts work just fine.

I have driven my last three Healey restoration in excess of 90k miles using
stainless bolts to hold the front sway bar to the frame with zero problems.
This has included some pretty fast and hard driving but not racing. I am
currently running Denis Welsh's heavy front sway bar on my BJ8, have 20k+
miles in three years and have no problems - not even lose bolts.  At the same
time I check all bolts and the undercarriage of my car every year and before
any extended trip.  I replace any bolt that has been damaged and make sure I
have them tight.  I wouldn't use a stainless bolt to hold a shock on or engine
mount.  But sway bar, I guess its not hight on my worry list.

Just my 2cents worth.

Thanks  John