Re: tales from a 1700 mile journey (long, low LBC content)

To: dthompson@gbc.ca, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: tales from a 1700 mile journey (long, low LBC content)
From: ric_bergstrom@juno.com (Richard L. Bergstrom)
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 20:49:46 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>Here's what I saw for 1700 miles:>
>It is perfectly normal to drive 2 m.p.h. over the speed limit in the
>left hand lane even though there is no one in the right hand lane for
>miles. No one seems to check their mirrors and hence never notice a car
coming
>up behind them with a speed differential of 20 m.p.h.

AAHH I 95...just love it.  Passes dead through the center of Richmond VA
so I get to experience it and the wonderful drivers on a regular basis.

>Even when the following car jams the brakes and follows 4 car lengths
>behind, nobody moves to the right. Reducing the distance to 3, 2 or 1
>car ength behind their rear bumper seems to have no effect (mirrors?
what
>mirrors?). For fear of road rage, I NEVER flashed my lights or honked
>anyone. After following for a minute or more, I would unfortunately
>have to pass on the right. This did not seem to faze the morons at all,
they
>would continue to cruise along in the left lane.

Just passs them on the right an get it over with...man I wish the cops
would ticket these people.  and the idiots that tailgate them..
driving I 95 is all about rythym.  You can work it and it is a good
thing.  But if you're off it will drive you nuts or kill you.

>Beef # 2: people who are driving 3 m.p.h. over the limit in the right
>lane and want to pass someone doing the limit in front of them. They
insist
>on pulling out to the left lane even though a quick glance in their
>mirrors will tell them that there is a car approaching in the left lane
>travelling 20 m.p.h. faster than them. Sometimes they use their turn
signal, most
>of the time they don't.

What do you mean...they looked in the mirrors..saw you and can;t let you
get ahead of them...so you get to wait as they saunter by ..

>Anyway, that's the story. I know that holiday drivers on the I-95
>certainly
>do not represent a cross section of spridget listers but do they
>represent
>a cross section of the average american driver?

Probably...pretty sad isn't it?

How about the guy last week, that when seeing a patrol car, lights
blazing behind him comes to a complete stop in the left lane and then
makes a right hand turn across three lanes of traffic to the shoulder
with your standard 75 mph I95 traffic bearing down on him (me
included).....and the patrol car wasn't even after HIM!

I think if I'd been the cop I'd have figured out some way to arrest the
moron on the spot.  Cop continued on to chase and catch the guy he was
after.

BTW...I drive the Midget to autocrosses on I95.  Great fun.  Just pretend
you are invisible, no one can see you, and you are driving a
bicycle....just a bit paranoid out there.

Ric Bergstrom,  Richmond,  VA  73-74 Midget, 88 Volvo

Central Virginia MG Classics  WWW.CENTRALVAMG.COM
COME TO RICHMOND---September 19th-20th Richmond British Car Days at
Berkeley Plantation.   E-mail me for info or see the website.