Re: [Spits] GT6 gearbox progress

To: jimmuller@rcn.com
Subject: Re: [Spits] GT6 gearbox progress
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 21:13:09 -0800 (PST)
Your box is definitely different than a Spitfire transmission.  For example,
the Spitfire version definitely does not have that 3-spring thing you mentioned.

Have a look at the parts diagrams at spitbits.com to see if they match what you
have.

Check that the 1-2 slider fits and slides nicely on its hub, and that the
little springs and balls are OK.  When I got my Spit, it turned out that those
parts had been improperly hardened at the factory, and they were very worn.
The slider was basically flopping around on its hub.

Did you use the dummy shaft trick to remove the laygear without getting those
little needles all over the place?  And don;t forget the grease trick when
re-installing them...

Good luck,

Doug