Re: sagging rear/advice

To: <TR250Driver@aol.com>, <jimmuller@rcn.com>,
Subject: Re: sagging rear/advice
From: <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 20:16:17 -0500
A GT6 spring mounted under the rear of a Spit will make it sit too high and
stiff. (btdt)
You can remove a leaf, but it throws off the over all travel spring rate.

check the table of rear springs at
http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/springs.htm   take special note of
the number of leaves and the thickness of each. Then note that even though
the late MKIII GT6 is the heaviest at the rear of all of them... it's listed
as having the lightest force at the wheels.  But this is due to the greater
initial arch and it's greater 'car at rest' compression position. So at
rest, it's farther into it's total force curve under compression of the
arch. It's the combination of spring forces that come into play as the arch
compresses under the weight of the car.

A Stock Spit is rated at 425(?)? or so pounds of cargo and  occupant weight.
Two people in the seats, and one person sitting on the rear bumper and
you've just bent the rear spring!
Also don't forget the front end set has a bit to do with the rear end lean,
especially on swing spring cars.

three words..... 'vette air shocks.
Use separate Schrader valve on each side and you can dial in any ride height
and correct the lean as well.

An interesting note...on my own late MKIII GT6 I run 25lbs in the left, and
20 lbs in the right shock.
Yet on my Spit, I run 35 on the drivers side, and 20 on the right side. (LHD
cars)

Both have about a one finger diameter clearance between the fender lip and
the top of the tire tread.

ymmv

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com