Re: Wheel box removal

To: Bill Gingerich <wrgingerich@msn.com>,
Subject: Re: Wheel box removal
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 12:12:14 -0700 (PDT)
BTW, what's a wheel box?

I was recently able to remove all the doors from my
'31 Ford
by unscrewing the hinge-to-body screws.  On old cars,
those screws are always notoriously difficult to get
out, and I learned a few tricks in the process.

First, the heat-them-with-a-torch technique worked
well.
The trick is to use an acetylene torch with a small
tip, so you can quickly get the screw head red-hot
without heating up the surrounding metal too much.
(A propane torch isn't really good enough.)
After the screw cools off, it is much more likely to
come out.

To get out the last, extra-tough screws, I used
a screwdriver blade in an impact wrench.  I set it
to a medium torque and let it pound away.  After
30 seconds or so, the screw would slowly start to
move.

Like you said, you need to resist the temptation to
use pure torque, because if you break off or strip
the head, you have a problem.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

===     http://www.vtr.org