Shortened driveline - = long - and a BIG question!

To: "CARS nass@yahoogroups." <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Shortened driveline - = long - and a BIG question!
From: <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 19:08:04 -0400
Ok...you all know my exploits by now...moving the 6 cyl back 6" in a Spit
and adding F.I.....
Well I've got a dilemma here that needs a bit of pondering ...so I'm asking
the lists for their 'gut feeling' on this one.

I dropped off yesterday, and picked up today, my shortened driveshaft from a
major company that specializes in such things.
I had given them a dimension to cut it down to. 29" flange to flange. Now on
this GT6 shaft (no...I didn't modify the more scarce o/d driveshaft I have
here...I used a regular non-o/d shaft)  you've got the sliding section.  The
guys that come to the counter, are the actual guys doing al lthe work. (not
some flunky office worker...greasy hands and work overalls are a dead
giveaway)  When talking to the guy, I told him  "29" flange to flange
compressed. That will give me the 29.5" I need...and give me about a 1/2"
freeplay both ways"   He write down on the little tag that he attaches to
the shaft    - shorten 29" F.F.

So today I pick up the driveshaft. It looked REALLY good. The welding/mod
was superb.  When I got home this evening from work, I measured the shaft.
CRAP!  It's 28 3/8"  What the heck!  So I call the shop... I ended up
talking to the guy that I had originally talked to the first day, and tell
him what I found.  He says "yes...I was the one that tagged it....  29"
flange to flange operating"

"nnooOOO!"  I said.... "  29" compressed! I told you I needed 29.5" and to
cut it to 29" compressed to give me freeplay in both directions."

So.... I down to the garage I go...reinstall the engine, and bolt up the
driveshaft to see how little freeplay I'm going to have. Yep.... less than
3/8" max extension left to get it bolted up to the tranny and diff.   I
verified this by unbolting the front engine mounts and dragging the engine
forward. Yep... the mounts are just barely 3/8" in front of the towers.

QUESTION/PODERANCE.....
How much freeplay is toooo little?  Between possible frame flex, motor mount
flex under braking and etc.... does anyone feel I'm cutting it a bit too
close having this slip joint extended out so far... with so little endplay
avail?  Yes... I've moved the motor/tranny back as far as I can .   What's
the consensous on this ever so tight consensous freeplay?

The guy says he can add a section back in.... but then I'm worried about
balance and al lthe extra welding ...letting alone getting it straight and
true.  Should I leave well enough alone and go with it as is.... or have the
shop fix it to give me more freeplay lengthwise?

pissed and dismayed here.

tia

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com