Re: Brake fluid question

To: s1500@comcast.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake fluid question
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 18:10:54 EDT
In a message dated 4/4/2006 2:06:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
s1500@comcast.net writes:

Question: Is there a substitute for Castrol GT LMA I could pick up at
Autozone or wherever? I'd like to take that route instead of trying to special
order a case of it. It's high time I do a good rebleed on both the clutch  &
brake. If all else fails, should I just wing it with DOT  3?

Oh Yeah,
Change it to silicone dot whatever.  This will not eat up you paint  work if
leaks occur and it is less Hydroscopic so it does not suck up water  which
will eventually ruin your lines. I run Silicone Dot 5 in all my  Triumphs, they
have not seen Castrol for decades.  I have just replaced the  fluid too with a
good bleeding not a major complete line purge.  Only down  side to silicone is
that under extreme use it may freak out, boil over, and make  your brakes
fade big time.  This happened to me once, but I was flogging my  TR8 on the
Nelsons Ledges Road Course at the time.
Cheers,
Darrell

===     http://www.vtr.org