Exhaust Downpipe Gasket

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Exhaust Downpipe Gasket
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:45:30 +0100
Dear All,

I am getting sick and tired of replacing blown exhaust downpipe gaskets.
I have tried everything: fitting by a professional mechanic; fitting by
a tyre & exhaust shop; fitting the damn things myself; ditto, but with
an extra (locking) nut on the aft stud.   The same thing always happens
- the nut or nuts on the rearmost stud work loose over time, and relax
the compression of the gasket enough that the exhaust gases blow
straight through it when the engine is working hard.   The only thing I
haven't tried is leaving the gasket out altogether (I much prefer
replacing gaskets to replacing downpipes or exhaust manifolds, or both).

Is there a solution?   And if not, does any supplier offer jumbo value
packs of gaskets?

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671