Re: Starter doesn't always...

To: Tburke4@aol.com
Subject: Re: Starter doesn't always...
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@COX.NET>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 13:01:03 -0400
At 12:12 PM 9/4/2004 EDT, Tburke4@aol.com wrote:

>I drove to store, parked, and when I came back out, all I got from the
>starter was a click. Connections were all tight. Replacing the battery
>with a new one made no difference. Finally, I got a couple of volunteers
>to push me for a jump start....

Tom,

That's an easy one!!!

I'll give you better then 90% odds that the contacts in your starter solenoid
are burned and not making connection.  The other possibility is that the
starter has a bad spot on it.

There are usually 2 cases where the starter solenoid goes click and nothing
happens.

1. A dead battery.  There is enough voltage to pull in the solenoid.  Then as
the starter trys pulling lots of current the voltage drops and the solenoid
drops out.  All of a sudden there is enough voltage to pull the solenoid back
in.  The starter trys to pull current and the voltage drops.  Consiquently,
the click click click you hear.

2.  The next is the single click.  The solenoid is engaging but the internals
don't make connection.  Consiquently the 1 click.

You might want to check out the article on my Morgan web page:

http://www.team.net/www/morgan/tech/art026.html and

http://www.team.net/www/morgan/tech/art019.html

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229