MK3 Parcel shelf mounting problem

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: MK3 Parcel shelf mounting problem
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:29:39 -0700
Has anybody encountered any problems installing new parcel shelves,
specifically the drivers side on a MK3 Spitfire?  When attempting to
install the padded rail that supports the drivers side parcel shelf I found
that the ignition switch mounting bolts and bracketry interferes with the
bar.  And its not by a small amount but about a half an inch.  Now these
are for a MK4/1500 (new replacement parts) but the dash is (or appears) the
same, that is it's the later MK3 dash with the speedo and tach in front of
the driver.  I can't see any real difference but there must be one since I
can't install the lower bar without bending it significantly.  Am I missing
something??  the steering mounts, brackets, and ignition switch are
identical to my MK4 - including the twin tubular bracket that mounts to the
bolts on the steering column mount to stiffen it.   Anyway, I thought I
would throw this out to see if anybody had a similar problem and how it was
resolved (if it was) -
Barry Schwartz (San Diego)
---