RE: Spitfire Swing Spring

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Spitfire Swing Spring
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:45:28 -0400
In a message dated 8/30/2004 10:45:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Joe Curry"
<spitlist@COX.NET> writes:

>Richard,
>You are correct sir!  But (and there always is a but), if you lengthen
>the axles without changing the length of the spring the upright will
>change angles (to the ground not the axle).  This is because the spring
>is the upper control element and the axle is the lower control element
>in a swing axle setup.  When the axle length is increased, the angle of
>the upright must also change.

=====

And let's not forget the angle (and, possibly, the length and/or shape,
although I've never measured same) of the radius arm. Of course, apparently the
longer axles also did NOT warrant a change to the rear shock absorber.

--Andy Mace