RE: Spitfire Swing Spring

To: "'ptegler@cablespeed.com'" <ptegler@cablespeed.com>,
Subject: RE: Spitfire Swing Spring
From: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:19:13 +0100
Paul clarified: "...if the upright is not vertical then the distance between
the spring and axle will be shorter. So the shorter spring with longer axle
will let the car sit lower..."

Well, strictly speaking that's true, but it is a totally negligible effect.
Assuming the upright is, indeed, exactly upright for the shorter shaft, then
increasing the shaft length by 1" will move the upright 9.6deg (guessing
it's 6" long, I haven't got one to measure).  This will reduce the distance
between the spring and the shaft by all of 0.084".  This in turn will change
the angle of the driveshaft, and therefore the camber of the wheel by, ooh,
0.4deg.

So any implication that the longer shafts have any serious effect on the
camber is, I would suggest, somewhat misleading.

Apologies, Paul, for having a go at your theories - please don't take it
personally!  Just want to make sure everything is as clear as it can be, and
also to correct the implication that may have arisen (probably
unintentionally) that the angle of the suspension upright is directly
related to camber.

Richard Gosling

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected.
If you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is
strictly prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing
stated in this communication shall be legally binding.