noisy throwout bearing on GT6

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: noisy throwout bearing on GT6
From: Dave Fain <kc3565l@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 20:30:49 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
I just completed a mechanical rebuild on a 1973 GT6.  I installed a new clutch,
pressure plate and throwout bearing.  When the clutch is fully released, the
throwout bearing makes a chirping sound like a bunch of deranged crickets.
When I press in the clutch even slightly, the noise goes away.  In all my years
of working on Triumphs, I have never run into this.  It seems to be caused by
the throwout bearing lightly touching the fingers on the pressure plate.  Has
anybody else ever encountered this?  Would lightly greasing the face of the
throwout bearing fix it?
thanks,
Dave