Re: Spitfire Castor

To: <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Castor
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 06:21:22 -0400
No, caster is adjustable.  It's adjustable the same way it is for any
production double a-arm front suspension car.  You use an unequal
quantity of shims under the lower a-arm mounts to "tilt" the arm forward
or back, changing the castor.

The caveat is that a Spitfire doesn't use a double ball joint
suspension, it  uses a trunnion on the bottom instead.  The trunnion
only has two axis of rotation, not the three a ball joint has.  So it
doesn't take kindly to being shoved forward and backwards.  This induces
wear on the trunnion, and can lead to breakage.  This is something I've
been pointing out for years, that you've got to be careful about this
with regards to Spitfires.  Glad to see one of the louder nay sayers has
finally seen the light.

And, of course, the shop that worked on your car may not have adjusted
it anyhow, and simply noted it incorrectly in their repair write up.