Re: Blown Differential

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Blown Differential
From: "Mark Jones" <mowog73@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:29:32 +0000
Dave;

Buy a used differential.  You probably can't rebuild it yourself and the
ring and pinion gears are very expensive.  I have bought a used differential
from www.thebriton.com at a very reasonable price.  Just a suggested source;
NFI.

Mark

- --- David Mayer <celiracer81@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I took the differential out, and tore it apart. Guess what i found?!?!?  An
>entire bearing that looks like it had a bomb explode
>in it, resting in pieces on the bottom of the differential.  Upon
>further investigation, it was the rear pinion bearing that had "blown up"
>and
>now the teeth on the crown wheel and gear are shot!
>
>So here is(are) my question(s) to all of you.
>1.) should i go ahead and replace all of the
>bearings in the differential?  or just the one that shattered?  the rest
>seem to be
>in fine shape.
>
>2.) Should i just find a rebuilt differential and
>replace the whole thing?
>
>3.) Lastly, what kind of oild shoudl i use in the
>differential when i get bac around tp puting it back together?
>
>Thanks all.  Your help has gotten me this far. and i
>can't thank you enough,
>   Dave
>   '68 Spit Mk3...that seems to hate me.

Free yourself from those irritating pop-up ads with MSn Premium. Get 2months
FREE*