Rusty seat runners

To: "Spitfires (spitfires@autox.team.net)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Rusty seat runners
From: "DASHWOOD, Dean, FM" <Dean.Dashwood@rbos.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 19:20:44 -0000
Fellow Spitsters,

There I was this morning, driving through town, when I stopped at a red
light, and took the oportunity to have a bit of a stretch.  As I leant back,
the seat tipped back with me.  Gulp!  That's not supposed to happen!

I got out to inspect the damage, and found that the seat runner, where the
front bolt goes through it to attach the seat to the floor, has rusted away
sufficiently that there is no longer enough metal there for the bolt to hold
it in place.

Now, I'm not an expert at welding.  In fact, my total welding is somewhere
around the zero mark.  I have no intentions of welding this together
myself.... but what I would like to know is if it's worth taking it to a
garage to have it welded?  Maybe weld some kind of repair panel to it?  My
gut feeling would be that it's not, and that I'll have to find a replacement
part.... but it's better to repair than to replace.  I most likely won't get
a chance to take the car to the garage until next Saturday, and I'd really
like an idea of what to expect before I go.  (If nothing else, I wouldn't
want some greedy mechanic to tell me that it's repairable just so he can get
some money, only to find that I really should have replaced it because it
was beyond repair.)

Any advice from anyone, please?

Thanks!

Dean

The Royal Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No 90312.
Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB.

systems or data.  No responsibility is accepted by The Royal
Bank of Scotland plc in this regard and the recipient should carry

                               Visit our websites at:

http://www.rbs.co.uk/CBFM

http://www.rbsmarkets.com