FW: Hung starter

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Hung starter
From: Gary Roderick <garyr@MTENT.COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 15:52:41 -0500
(sorry, majordomo, originally sent this to the wrong address - let's try
this again - sigh - been too long)

Hi folks,

Had a new starter installed in my 66 MkII about a year ago. Occasionally it
would hang up (not return) when attempting a start. I could usually get it
loosened up with a little rocking or some such motion. The other day it
seemed to jam up especially hard and I can't get it to budge. Now attempting
a start acts like there is not enough battery .

Would it be safe to loosen it some and bang it a little with a sledge? Not
enough of a mechanic to know what may happen if I partially loosen the
starter while engaged. (Is it engaged?)

Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening ?

Thanks

Gary Roderick
66 Spitfire MkII - White/Black racing stripes
FC    87804 L